Admission and application
Science Communication is a master specialisation track of 60 EC (one year). It is open to students from all two-year master programmes at the UvA Faculty of Science (with the exception of Brain and Cognitive Science, Logic and Forensic Science) and most master programmes at the VU (please contact your master coordinator for more information).
Science Communication has welcomed students from MSc programmes such as:
• Biomedical sciences
• Earth sciences
• Physics & astronomy
• Management, Policy Analysis and Entrepreneurship in the Health and Life Sciences.
This list is not exhaustive. Since science communication is an interdisciplinary field, students from many different science master programmes at VU and UvA are invited to join. To make sure your master programme offers this specialization, please contact your master coordinator.
To subscribe for the science communication specialization, please take the following steps:
1. If you are not a student at the VU yet, please subscribe as a ‘bijvakstudent’ at the VU first. Subscribe at least six weeks before the semester starts. Go to the register form and select ‘bijvakregistratie’. For more information, see the Dutch or English information page.
2. Subscribe for each of your courses individually on VUnet using the course codes in the study programme. Subscribe at least four weeks before the semester starts.
After completing the specialization year, you earn a regular Master of Science (MSc) degree in your field. During the specialization year, you remain within the responsibility of your original master coordinator and exam committee.
• It is recommended to take all science communication courses in one year, as programme schedules across MSc programmes are not always compatible.
• The course Science Journalism is taught in Dutch. This course is an optional course for the master specialization.
• Would you like to follow only one or two courses from the science communication specialization rather than attend the whole programme? Each of the science communication courses can be followed individually as an elective. Contact the corresponding course coordinator(s) to ask for admission and subscribe for the course on VUnet.