We offer internships for students at our institute. Below you will find a list of recent openings in animal ecology:
Community and Evolutionary Ecology
- How different can you get?: trait diversity in soil animals
- Facilitation in soil: the role of ecosystem engineers in community composition
- Be loved or be eaten: do signals adapt to differences in species composition?
- The impact of exotic species on island ecosystems in the Dutch Caribbean
- Tracing the spread of exotic species using genetic markers
- Universal patterns in biodiversity
- Epigenetic changes and evolutionary loss of lipogenesis in a parasitoid wasp
- Trait plasticity and species dominance in beach communities
- Variation in lipogenic ability in a parasitoid: why would only some individuals get fat? (BSc/ MSc project, start Sep 2015, or later)
- Tropical rumble or urban jungle: do frogs adjust their calls to different sensory conditions?
- Evolution of LA synthesis in Pancrustaceae
- Bizarre reproductive behaviours: physiology and evolution of love darts and other sexual attributes
- Sex and conflict in simultaneous hermaphrodites; behaviour, physiology, morphology and evolution
- Quantity or quality: measuring female reproductive investment in a hermaphrodite?
- The evolution of multimodal signals: Why are there still ugly males?
- Feeling the vibes: role of vibrations in host-searching behavior of parasitic wasps
- Spying on a Hidden Predator-Prey Communication Channel
Ecotoxicology and Ecogenomics
- Assessing the Toxicity of Neonicotinoid Insecticides Towards Soil Invertebrates
- Toxicity of nanoparticles to soil invertebrates
- Optimizing metal bioaccumulation studies with Enchytraeus crypticus
- Comparative transcriptomics: are transcriptional stress responses comparable among distantly related species ?
- Mathematical modeling of dose-response curves using microarray gene expression data.
- Super bugs: can heavy metal adapted springtails withstand higher levels of oxidative stress ?
- Validation of promising gene expression assays for improved soil quality assessment
- The gut microbiome of a springtail: who's there and what are they doing ?
- Linking microbial communities to crude oil weathering in mangrove environments
- Impact of remedial agents on microbial communities