The research program of the Department of Health Sciences has been established in close collaboration with the Institute for Extramural Research (EMGO Institute) of the VU University Medical Center.
There are five sections:
- Nutrition and Health (Prof.dr.ir. M. (Marjolein) Visser)
- Methodology and Applied Biostatistics (Dr. M.R. (Michiel) de Boer)
- Health Economics and Health Technology Assessment (Prof.dr. M.W. (Maurits) van Tulder)
- Prevention and Public Health (Prof.dr. I.H.M. (Ingrid) Steenhuis)
- Infectious Diseases (Dr. C.B. (Katja) Polman)
The Sections activities are devoted to public health. The definition of public health we use is "the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through the organised efforts and informed choices of society, organisations, public and private, communities and individuals”.